In a sustainable community, you can walk, roll, bike or bus to where your need to go
Walking, rolling, cycling and taking the bus should be safe convenient and accessible for all. Sustainable transportation gives us choices in the way we move around. It's better for our health, our environment, our community, and even our economy.
To make the shift to Sustainable Transportation, Greater Sudbury needs:
- Transportation Demand Management - focusing on moving moving people, not just cars, most effectively. Council adopted a Transportation Demand Management Plan in June 2018.
- Complete streets - streets that are safe, convenient and comfortable for everyone regardless of transportation mode, physical ability or age. Council adopted a Complete Streets Policy in July 2018. The next step is to develop Complete Street Design Guidelines.
- Improved transit service - to meet the needs of residents. The City is currently working on a Transit Action Plan.
- A “Minimum grid” of safe cycling routes - so that we can get where we need to go by bike
- Better sidewalks and crossings - honouring Greater Sudbury’s municipal pedestrian charter , and resolution to become the most pedestrian friendly city in Ontario by 2015
See the Sustainable Mobility Advisory Panel's 2018 summary of progress in sustainable mobility in Greater Sudbury.
Coalition for a Liveable Sudbury advocates for sustainable mobility in Greater Sudbury. We advocate for: better transit service, a minimum grid of cycling routes, walkable communities, complete streets, and shifting the focus to meeting the transportation needs of people, whatever mode they choose, and whatever their age, ability or circumstance.
We were a member of the 2014-2018 Sustainable Mobility Advisory Panel, which advises Council on achieving a transportation system where citizens can walk, cycle and/or use public transit efficiently and safely to get to their destinations.
- Join us in showing your support for sustainable transportation
- Choose to walk, roll, bike, or bus to get to your daily destinations - and talk to others about making these choices!
- Let your Councillor know that sustainable transportation is important to you
- Join a group working for positive change: Sudbury Cyclists Union, Friends of Sudbury Transit
Want to know more? Contact us.