The risks and benefits of a chromite smelter – getting informed
Greater Sudbury has put in a bid for a chromite smelter. Get informed.
View the April 28 information session.
Get an overview of the basic information in our short primer.
Want to dig deeper? Here are primers and resources on specific aspects. Check the reference lists for hyperlinks to original sources.
- Ferrochrome production: steps of production, waste generated.
- Environment: what happens to chromium in the air, water, soil and sediment, and what are the impacts?
- Health: what are the known impacts of chromium?
- Local conditions: what are some relevant local conditions?
- Environmental Review: what environmental review process is required or possible for this type of project? See also this summary compiled by the Legislative Library and Research Services of Ontario.
- Regulations: what are the regulations for chromium to protect human health and the environment?
More resources have been listed by Mining Watch here.
See No Ferrochome Sudbury's website here.
To express to Noront your feelings on whether you are comfortable with a ferrochrome smelter in Greater Sudbury and Coniston, write to: Mr. Alan Coutts, President and CEO, Noront Resources Inc, 110 Yonge Street, Suite 400, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 1T4.
To share your wishes, questions or concerns with Council, find their contact info here.
If you would like to be notified as further information or event notices become available for this issue, sign up here.