The risks and benefits of a chromite smelter – getting informed
Greater Sudbury has put in a bid for a chromite smelter. Get informed.
Come out to an information session April 28.
Get an overview of the basic information in our short primer.
Want to dig deeper? Here are primers and resources on specific aspects. Check the reference lists for hyperlinks to original sources.
- Ferrochrome production: steps of production, waste generated.
- Environment: what happens to chromium in the air, water, soil and sediment, and what are the impacts?
- Health: what are the known impacts of chromium?
- Local conditions: what are some relevant local conditions?
- Environmental Review: what environmental review process is required or possible for this type of project? See also this summary compiled by the Legislative Library and Research Services of Ontario.
- Regulations: what are the regulations for chromium to protect human health and the environment?
If you would like to be notified as further information or event notices become available for this issue, sign up here.